If you want to increase your website traffic without having to double the amount of money you spend on external advertising such as print campaigns or Google Adwords, one of the best ways to entice visitors to your website is through the use of an optimised blog. By writing (or outsourcing articles to a professional copywriter), you can increase traffic to your website exponentially (not to mention build your brands reputation as an industry thought leader). But how can you write content that not only tops search engine rankings, but also is read and shared by a loyal following? Here are our top 7 tips:
1. Find out what is trending: Search for content which is already available on the subject you want to write about by conducting a quick Google search (remember to sort by ‘news’ or ‘blogs’). This will help you get a feel for what is popular, and possibly form the basis for future article ideas.
2. Formatting is important: In an age where information is consumed at such a rapid rate, its imperative your article(s) are written in an easy-to-read format. Try to keep your content to maxim 3/4 of an A4 page, and break up important paragraphs with sub-headings in bold.
3. Use snappy headlines: Having a clever headline is a great way to get people interested in your content – but make sure that its clever enough to garner interest, and not so clever that it alienates your readership. Need more ideas? Read our article here on how to write killer headlines.
4. Consider guest-posting: Partner with other relevant websites within your market (eg. an industry association) and offer guest posts for thier content pages. This way you will not only have a guaranteed new audience to tap into, but you will also be able to include link-outs pointing directly to your website for these readers to visit and read your other content.
5. Share your content via social networking sites: It goes without saying that one of the easiest ways to have your article found by interested readers is by posting links via your social media sites – including facebook, linkedin, google+ and twitter.
6. Pay attention to the metrics: After you have been writing for a while, its a good idea to go back and analyse your article success. Work out which articles were the most popular and then search for the keywords used in these articles to think of new ideas for similar posts.
7. Build a loyal fanbase: Attracting visitors to your website is half the battle – if theyve managed to find your site, and like what they see, the next step is to capture their details so that you can provide them with links to any future articles. Add a newsletter signup form or option to subscribe to RSS on your blog.
Did you enjoy this article? Sign up to our newsletter here for the latest blogs emailed straight to your inbox.